After an easy drive to Gatwick and rendezvous on Sunday morning, nine of us were flying to Bergen for 4 days’ diving in the beautiful Norwegian fjords.

The transfer journey whet our appetites for the amazing scenery; it took us through some incredible roads and tunnels – and we just caught the “quick” ferry to the Gulen Dive Resort.  At the resort, the sun was shining and “Guido” the dive guide (how appropriate is that!) showed us around and got us settled in to our accommodation before getting us our tanks and weights so we could sort out our dive kit ready for our first dive in the morning – at which point we really needed a beer on the terrace overlooking the bay with lovely Norwegian-looking houses, the mountains and the lovely fjord – what a spot!


On the first morning we dived the house reef to check the kit was all working OK.  The house reef had such delights as Nudi-Mountain, the Hotel and Eric the rather large resident wolffish.  Although none of us actually found Eric, there were more nudibranchs in one place than we’d ever seen – big ones too, and plenty of other life to see.  The second dive took us out to Stingray City with a resident population of lovely thornback rays, amazing underground topography and vivid pink and white sea squirts.  We discovered the water was a long way from 18°C under the thermocline – it was more like 8°C!

Day 2 saw us on the boat again to do the German freighter the DS Frankenwald wreck – the current was running like mad on the surface, which made for a rather chaotic shot line rendezvous of the first four divers down, but there was no current on the wreck and it really is a world-class wreck with lots to see.  The second dive was a wreck/scenic mix on the SS Bandak – a wreck lying on its side close to the fjord wall. The scenic approach led to the bow section which was mostly destroyed but the stern section was intact. The visibility was so good that you could clearly see the whole stern with rudder and propeller still in place. The safety stop on the adjacent rocks rounded off a lovely dive.

Day 3 saw drama!  Following a very heavy thunderstorm as we made our way out to the intended dive site on the boat, we saw smoke by the cabin door as Guido was doing the dive briefing.  On closer inspection it appeared to be coming from the Mains Electrical Distribution Box which was wet with rain water. With the risk of a short-circuit we had to return to the dive centre without doing the dive, and did a wonderful wall dive, very close the resort, from their huge RIB.

Our last day’s diving had us on the Fernedale and Parat, lying more or less on top of each other in wonderfully clear visibility.  The dive took us from close to the top of the wreck in ~12m right down the deck of the Parat in ~45m. The visibility was so clear we could see the underwater topography and the life at the top of the wreck was bountiful.  The second dive saw us either on the house reef – looking for Eric again – or on “The Troll Wall”. The Troll Wall was angled slightly downwards so that the unsuspecting diver could be lured down into the deep by the Troll.  Fortunately, we kept on target and were rewarded with stunningly beautiful anemones, large nudibranchs and odd sea cucumbers (found only in this area). Unfortunately, back on the house reef there was still no Eric – maybe he had gone on holiday to England!

Apart from the thunderstorm the weather was incredible (and it didn’t really go dark!), the location was stunningly beautiful (even if we were miles from anywhere!) and the jugs of beer wonderfully cold (if not a little bit expensive!).

Following a few hours in Bergen to explore the touristy fish market and go up the funicular railway to look out over Bergen’s busy harbour, we made our way back to the airport for another easy journey home to round off a great trip!   Many thanks to Paul Fiander for organising!

Paul and Susan Sanders